Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Milo Marathon 2012 (Manila Eliminations)

Running the Milo Marathon Eliminations has been my dream since 2011. That year I first signed up for Milo's half-marathon event but was unable to run it because I'd carelessly left my race bib at home. It had rained hard that day, and I couldn't risk running bandit in that kind of weather, so I decided to stick to the sidelines and wait for my friends to cross the finish line instead. I enviously watched runners cross the finish line that day, and became fixated with the idea of eventually earning that finisher's medal since I don't think I'll be able to qualify for finals in this lifetime.

With the UP Heartbreakers! Support Mode during the Milo Marathon in 2011.

Fast forward to June 2012. I already had three full marathons under my belt by then and had an unimpressive PR of just under six hours (5:56), but I was just as determined to become a Milo marathoner as I was eleven months before. However, doubting my ability I decided to ask for help, and approached my good friend Dave De Castro, better known as Doc Dave, to ask if he'd be willing to pace me for the event. Doc Dave is a triathlete blessed with rock-hard discipline I will never have, but after the Condura Skyway Marathon he said he never wanted to run another full marathon again, so I was elated (and nervous at the same time) when he agreed to pace me to a sub-6.

Race Map for the 36th Milo Marathon Manila Eliminations, passing through four cities of Metro Manila.

During the next few weeks I trained worked on leg strength and like never before. Unfortunately the rainy season prevented me from running outdoors as often as I would want, so I had to force myself to appreciate the treadmill at the gym (a real mindgame for me) in addition to getting used to running alone. I was scared about 6-hour cutoff, and I figured training, along with a strict diet (time to shed off body fat!) and encouragement from friends, was the only way I could get over the fear. By race week, I was a basket case. I drastically cut down workout hours in hopes of being able to give my body enough time to recharge.

Training time! My last race before Milo was the DRM Fun Run at Veterans Memorial  Medical Center.

July 29 finally arrived. I rode to Mall of Asia with Doc Dave and another friend JC, but I really couldn't remember much about the trip going there except that I was obsessed about having everything I needed since I was still traumatized about having left my race bib the previous year. I wore the exact outfit I'd worn during the Singapore Marathon, my full mary personal best, from my visor down to my Nike Lunar Eclipse+ shoes. They'd proved their worth during two 42k's already, so I figured I'd take them for their last full marathon.

My Nike Lunar Eclipse + after (hopefully) their last full marathon!

As we headed for the starting line to await gun start, I remember seeing many of my running friends, but I couldn't really think about much except praying my friends and I would finish the race injury-free and within cutoff. I took some energy gel to boost my confidence a bit, said a silent prayer, and when the gun sounded we were off.





The Race

During the first 10km or so, I took on a steady pace with Doc Dave, JC, as well as Gino and his other friend, trying (quite unsuccessfully) not to rely on my music too much. By around KM 15, I couldn't keep up with the pace anymore, so Doc and I fell behind as our three other companions sped off.

The route was relatively flat, but the humidity served to be a challenge. By the time we parted ways with the 21k runners and headed towards Fort Bonifacio, I could already feel the strain on my calves. I tried forcing myself to get out of my comfort zone and change my forefoot strike, but doing so drastically reduced my speed so I decided to bear the calf pain. By KM 30 I was already starting to feel a bit tired and bloated, and it felt like the humid weather was making me melt. And then a miracle happened; it started to rain, and I couldn't agree more with Doc when he said the light shower was God's blessing, and I was able to push myself to run at a constant and comfortable stay. I was also thankful many of my friends ran, because meeting each of them along the way gave me a much-needed boost and encouraged me to go on.

Recognize that McDonald's branch from Fort? Caution: Wet floor!

By KM 37, however, I could feel my speed drop again as heat began to take its toll. I was having mixed feelings by then; I was hopeful that there were only five kilometers to go, but I was frustrated I couldn't keep a constant pace anymore. Water stations were running out of cups, so I had to rely on refilling my single trusty water bottle. I kept apologizing to Doc Dave that I couldn't go any faster. Runners around the area had also significantly reduced their speed, and many of them were in fact already walking tiredly, and I could feel that urge to cry. Then Doc did something I didn't expect; he placed his arm around mine and told me we were going to run the last stretch. Apparently, he decided that if he couldn't push me to my goal time, he was going to pull me...and he did!

Second Wind!!!

When we got to the finish line, I tapped the button on my Garmin triumphantly. 5:34.35. I said a silent prayer of thanks. Not only did we make cutoff, I was also able to beat my previous PR by a whopping twenty-one minutes! I was feeling absolutely euphoric as I hugged Doc Dave and thanked him for all his help and patience. It was I got my beautiful and gigantic finisher's medal, the oversized finisher's shirt, and the loot bag.

My finisher's shirt and loot bag!

The next few moments went by like a blur; I knew there were so many people and things going around me, but I was so tired that I just plopped down on the sidewalk with Doc, and didn't move for who knows how long. When I finally recovered my sanity and composure, I inched my way back to the car; my feet and calves were killing me and I knew I'd killed at least one toenail, but I didn't care. I was a Milo marathoner!

I couldn't help reminiscing about the day I finished my first marathon in March 2011. The day was March 20. I remember the feeling of accomplishment I felt that day, the feeling of gritting my teeth while enduring the pains of plantar fasciitis, the mixed emotions coursing through me, the cheers of my friends as I crossed the halfway point and the finish line. I thought I would never feel as accomplished as I did on that day when I first became a marathoner.

Memories of my first marathon: The Bull Runner Dream Marathon 2011, where I clocked in -- injured -- at 6:42.

Well, I was wrong. I didn't know then that there would come a day when run a race against time and the elements, across four cities while battling rain and heat. I didn't realize how much more fulfilling it would be to run a race I've been eyeing one year ahead and do actual training to achieve my goal time. I didn't know then how good it feels to have someone at your side all the way to encourage you, to assure that you can make it when you feel ready to give up.

But now I know my sense of achievement on the 29th of July would be even tougher to beat, because now I know how it feels to have that enormous medal draped around my neck and to be finally called a Milo marathon finisher.


Milo marathoner, at last :)

No comments:

Post a Comment