Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Get ready to Xplode in BodyCombat! (Fitness Xplosion 2)

I'm a self-professed gym rat. I've been one since 2006, long before I started running, when I first signed up for a Fitness First membership as a my new year's resolution and ended up getting hooked on group exercise classes. Although I'm versatile and like rotating workouts to maximize benefits and prevent boredom, there are two classes that are especially close to my heart: flow yoga, and the workout that I rely on for my regular supply of endorphins: BodyCombat.




For those who are unfamiliar with it, BodyCombat is a martial arts inspired workout by Les Mills. It incorporates moves from the various martial arts disciplines such as karate, taekwondo, kickboxing, muay thai, tai chi, and capoeira and transforms them into a fun and calorie-killing workout


BodyCombat Memories: Ultimate Combat Challenge at Fitness First Ortigas, March 30 2009.

Last September 1, Fitness First held an event called Xplosion 2, the second installment of a series of five marathons of Fitness First's most popular cardio workouts including RPM, BodyAttack, RetroPop, BodyCombat, and BodyJam/Sh'bam. Prices for the event weren't cheap at P399 per single program (inclusive of an event singlet), so I decided I'd attend just BodyCombat. There was already news prior to that day that BodyCombat tickets had been the most saleable, so my friends and I decided to assemble at SMX Convention Center at Mall of Asia early after a decent lunch.

Jam-packed BodyCombat! 

Hundreds (literally) of BodyCombat addicts came together that day at SMX, and it felt great to be in the midst of fellow BodyCombat addicts from all over the metro (plus Cebu and Pampanga) once again. The floor literally rocked as BodyCombat instructors presented the new release BodyCombat 53 in addition to old tracks.



On a side note, BodyCombat 53 has to be one of the best releases in a while, from the catchy "Written in the Stars" (cutest warmup track ever!) to the combat rendition of the old Les Mills favorite "True Believer" to the energetic finale "Summer Rain." Even the Muay Thai track "Blade" is a big improvement over the tiresome tracks of the last two releases.

Adrenaline was pumping in the auditorium from start to finish as presentors led participants through the fresh new tracks and old favorites such as "The United Vibe" and the immortal "Miracle." Presentors included various instructors from Fitness First including FF Philippines BodyCombat heads Mark and Kerwin, my mentor Jury (one of two people to whom I owe my love of BodyCombat), former BodyCombat head "Mother" Fhe (now based in Singapore), former BodyAttack head May (now also based in Singapore), Vanessa, and Allan, as well as international presentors Ben Tang (from Singapore) and Renee Low (from Malaysia).

Fight!

With Jury, one of two mentors to which I owe my love of BodyCombat :)

Renee Low was certainly a welcome addition to the lineup. The BodyCombat trainer from Malaysia quickly became a crowd favorite as she enthusiastically led the mob through a series of new tracks from the new release.

BodyCombat rules!
Two hours went by like a blur; I barely felt the time pass by, and the energy was so intense that people who were outside the SMX during the event reported that BodyCombat literally rocked the house!

With fellow BodyCombat addicts Romar, Ron, Doc Edwin, and Chal (L-R).

After all the tracks, the crowd clamored for more, and Ben Tang led the crowd to mop up the dirt and sweat in a delightfully painful conditioning track (a bit masochistic, yes).

Fitness Xplosion 2 was Xplosive, that's for sure. Though there will surely be mixed reviews, but I don't think anyone can deny that it was a remarkable improvement over the previous year's version of the event. Being the most attended event, BodyCombat was no exception. I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom Fitness Xplosion 2 invoked a feeling of nostalgia as I remembered why BodyCombat was -- and still remains to be  -- my favorite fitness workout. I'd have to say my fellow combat addicts and I left Mall of Asia with an undeniable endorphin high, and are all definitely looking forward to Fitness Xplosion 3!

Kia Kaha! (Stay Strong!)

NOTE: Thank you Joseph for the awesome photos of the event! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment