Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Second Running Injury: Plantar Fasciitis

March 10, 2011: The day I was diagnosed with my second running injury, i.e., Plantar Fasciitis. I had talked to a a friend who'd been previously suffered from plantar fasciia, and I realized that his symptoms bore striking similarities to mine, most especially feeling pain in the area connecting the heel and the arch of my right foot.  Had already previously decreased my mileage, and were it not for the Unilab 21k I did on the 6th of March, I would've been seriously, seriously undertrained.   I armed myself with GelSmart heel inserts, which proved to be invaluable during the Unilab run.




Thankfully, my x-ray findings showed no signs of heel spurs, which according to my doctor are usually found among more serious cases of plantar fasciitis.  My doctor said the plantar fasciitis was probably just beginning, and that regular stretching, hot/cold compress applications, and medicines would help ease the pain I was feeling.  He said I could keep running, though I failed to mention that I would be running my first full marathon in ten days' time.  I continued with the decreased mileage though, and I eliminated high-impact workouts and running temporarily hoping that the injury would heal in time for March 20.  Better, I figured, to be undertrained than overstrained!

No comments:

Post a Comment