Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2010 Running Awards

Whoops...I just realized I left this unpublished last year.  Feels weird posting this given how I've already started on the 2011 edition, but oh well, I figured I'd post it anyway!


Best Loot Bag: Neutrogena Chase the Sun


The Neutrogena Run's loot bag might not have been the most jam-packed, but I think it held had the most number of useful items.  Johnson's body wash, Neutrogena Deep Clean facial wash, Johnson's baby powder, and a Team Manila finisher's shirt to boot.  That was definitely one sulit loot bag!

Runner-up: Unilab 1 and Fit n' Fun.  From registration to post-race, Unilab provided runners with rather useful items such as facial sunblock, vitamins, and ibuprofen capsules that would be handy to any runner. Fit n' Fun, on the other hand, showered runners with grocery bags full of grocery items. It was overwhelming to dig through the contents of the bags, which stretched far beyond the P300 per head we'd shelled out for registration!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Best Route: Corregidor




The race organizers advertised Corregidor as "the ultimate running frontier," and for good reason.  My first experience with semi-trail running (the route was comprised of 60% pavement, 40% trail) took us through historical landmarks including the dark Malinta Tunnel (which served as the seat of the Philippine Commonwealth Government during the second World War) and the Mile-Long Barracks, through grasslands with both fresh and odd scents (I was glad I "christened" my new compression pants during this run!), and finally, up the killer sixty-degree hill that reduced even elite runners to walking.  I actually had to turn off my Walkman a number of times to appreciate the sights.


It was also an enormous plus that we had the place entirely to ourselves that day.  The venue being closed off meant zero smog and vehicle emission, no traffic problems, and no garbage littered on the streets.  In fact, the place was so clean that throwing our empty plastic cups on the floor almost felt like sacrilege!

Runner-up: Camsur. We might have needed to rough it a bit, but the world's wakeboarding capital certainly had an interesting route in store for us!   The whole city of Pili seemed to have turned up for the event, and the rustic feel provided a nice change from the usual city scenery.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Best Singlet/Finisher's Shirt: Adidas King of the Road


Black might not be as daring as people would want it to be, and some people might even find it boring, but it still does wonders to hide the love handles.  Also, I find that Adidas' Climalite technology works for me.
Runner-up: Activate! Run and Pump it UP



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Best Medal: Corregidor


The best medal of the year by far is Corregidor's enormous medallion.  Being 3 inches wide and 10 mm thick, with the logo of the race engraved on the front, this medallion is pretty hard to miss and ogle at!

Runner-up: Camsur Marathon.  How I regret not working hard for that sili medal!


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Most Organized Run: Unilab & Unilab 2

Despite the sheer volume of runners that took part in these two events, Runrio and Unilab were still able to carry off an incredibly smooth run (with overflowing hydration, I might add), no strings attached (except maybe the price).

Runner-up: FS Run, Condura. Nothing like races that are organized by runners, for runners!




* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Best Weather: Unilab 2
Unilab 2 was my first 15k hence it was impossible for me not to PR, but even if it weren't my first 15k, I probably would have PR'd anyway because the weather conditions were nothing short of perfect.
Runner-up: PSE Bullrun



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Best Value for Money: Fit n' Fun


Overflowing shopping bags full of grocery items for the price of P300/person (or P600/pair) for 5k, a pretty decent singlet, and a pretty well-organized run.  It's hard to get something more sulit than that!
Runner-up: FS Run, Corregidor



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Best Overall Race Experience: Corregidor



First Runner-up: Camsur.  The route was one of my favorites, the run was well-organized, the singlet was quite decent, the price wasn't bad, and I did my 10k best.  Adding that all up means an experience that would be pretty hard to beat!

Runner-up: Condura




Worst Singlet/Finisher's Shirt: Men's Health
I don't really mind the fact that it's a finisher's shirt that I will never be able to use for running.  What I do mind is that I'll probably never use this finisher's shirt ever, owing to the neckline that chokes and the not-very-creative design.

Most Forgettable Run: Rexona Run
I almost forgot I even did this run until I started recounting them one by one.  And to think this was my first (and only) run at Mall of Asia.  What I do remember, however, was the breakfast at my friend Mich's house after!

Worst Overall Experience: Globe and Rock n' Run
Rock n' Run -- It wasn't the rain that I worried would destroy my beloved iPod.  The rain I don't really mind.  What I DID mind was that everything from the singlet design fail (it looked like a cheap version of the template), to the non-appearance of the promised loot bags, to the 10k distance that was almost 2km short, to the non-performance of the bands (so much for "rock"...it was June, didn't they anticipate the rains?) was a mess.
Globe -- This Rio-organized run was actually pretty organized.  But what I hated about this one was how my knee injury prevented me from running; it was a good thing I had my friends James and Albert to motivate me and help me from melting boredly under the scorching heat of March.

Worst Organized: Figaro Run and Rock n' Run
Figaro Run -- Poor hydration, distance lacking (4.4km for 5k and 8.6km for 10k), sucky loot bag.  Although it was a moderately-priced run, I still say this run wasn't worth the price I paid.
Rock n' Run -- Just see the reason why I voted as the "worst overall experience."
Runner-up: Earth Run, Adidas King of the Road, Century Superbods Run

No comments:

Post a Comment